Wednesday 13 July 2011

Skyros ends

Actually perhaps I should qualify the above heading for any cartographers out there. Skyros has not actually ended - it should still appear on Google Maps but maybe without the beautiful bright light that has shone out of the town for the past ten days.
The last day was wonderful though. Our Director (regard man in red nose)  gently reminded us to enjoy the present moment instead of dwelling on loss and I think that helped us persevere through the day - knowing that goodbye was inevitable.
Our last writing session took place at the museum which perches above the village. Such a slog but worth it in the end. Each of us wrote a piece about an artifact from the museum and shared it with the group. I feel that this is the right moment at which to acknowledge our supportive, talented and wonderfully human tutor Sam who guided us so gently over the past ten days.
I know he was kind with us - that perhaps in another writing environment he would have been more critical -but he understood why we were there and he taught us such essential techniques for beautiful writing that I think he hit the note perfectly.

*****************************************************************************************
I feel I should just share the last night we had together which first involved writing 'appreciations' on each others backs (Obviously this was not the place for "your face looks best from space" type comments!) As you can see everyone got well into this and wore their appreciations like superman capes upon their backs.
 After dinner we had a soiree which was quite hilarious. Wonderful original stories were read, poetry performed, songs sung and I did something I never knew I could do. Perform without fear. Normally I wouldn't want to share the results but in the spirit of Skyros I shall share my obvious talent for Schlag music with the world. Watch and weep...or should that be wince!!

1 comment:

Stinkerde de stap said...

Bravissimo!

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath God's clear blue sky!