Tuesday 9 October 2012

food for thought


Well, I've been back a week now in Australia and have largely spent it sleeping and spending time with my parents/ family. I have also been swimming down at the local pool a few times. It's strange to swim in the open air after the Rialto in Basel. I pretty much have the pool to myself and there's no freezing feeling when I get out of the pool. I spend most of my time fantasizing about food while I swim. Bad Food that is.  Food I can't have when I'm overseas. Minties, BBQ shapes, twisties, cheeriosburger rings, coon cheese, redskins, peppermint patties, peppermint crisps, mint slice, white knightscadbury chocolate, picnics, crunchies, kingston biscuits, freddo frogs, caramello koalas... It's all here in the supermarket but I have to restrain myself or I'll need 2 return tickets to fit into the seats.
When not swimming I go for walks around the roads near my parent's house. I know these roads intimately. I grew up around here. I remember a time when it was all paddocks and trees not houses and footpaths. Some of the area  has remained untouched ( thankfully)so it's nice to go exploring the places I used to run freely as a child. Perhaps I will feel those tiny Russian dolls' hands in my hand - the ones that pre-date what troubles me now - and I won't feel so alone..or afraid.

Not that  I was feeling lonely last Sunday night when I caught up with (QB). My four besties from high school.

What a night! What a hangover!

No comments: