Friday 12 July 2013

Oruç

Today I was in the car with my favorite driver ,Orhan, when a truck started swerving erratically in front of us. Orhan and I turned to each other so I raised my shoulders pointed at the truck and said  "Oruç." He laughed so hard I thought we might cause an accident instead.  It was one of those little shiny moments in life that seem so rare these days.
Speaking of Oruç, last night I was lucky enough to enjoy Iftar with two bona-fide Oruç participants. I felt very privileged. It's funny because only the day before I had written about my desire to understand a bit more about Iftar and then suddenly this gift arrived on my lap.The gift came via my new temporary flatmate (Z is off filming a Kurdish comedy in Ankara) whose name is Nurdan. She had decided to host an Iftar at our house and I was very happy to be invited to join in. I like Nurdan. The house is more free somehow now.  Like we are equal sharers in the house or something. And Three-Paw of course. Not that three-Paw likes to come in that often but yesterday morning I opened my front door and she had her nose pressed against the wood.
***
Today I ate Ramazan Pide with Marmite. I wonder if that is even kosher!
***
Last night I dreamt I went to Damascus. I know they say you can't smell in dreams but I disagree All I could smell was jasmine and cardamon and apple nargileh and camphor. It was heavenly. 
I woke with a sad heart. 

Like I always do. 

No comments: