Thursday 4 August 2011

a small fit of sociability

Last night 'the gift' invited me for a sunset drive around the island. ( Clearly I will never be able to tell 'the gift' about my blog now!) I thought about telling him about my propensity for vomiting when driven around Skyros roads but then decided I should be sponatenous and leave my stone-painting hermit existence at least for a few hours. Fortunately the gift was a gentle driver as I believe we may have circumnavigated the whole island in a desperate chase to catch the sun and I didn't vomit once.
Skyros really is a rugged, remote island with lots of wonderful patches of wilderness, redolent with cypress trees and the sound of joyous cicadas. I could  live here I believe and quite happily embroil myself in local gossip while feeding the local cat population. One is allowed to dream.
We finished our cruise (with a pause for dinner) at the  spectacular Kavos bar over looking the port of Linaria. Whenever a ferry comes to dock on the island this bar blares out 2001 A Space Odyssey to welcome the travellers in. Unfortunately no boats were arriving when I was there so I may have to return for the experience.  The bar itself though was gorgeous and was cut into the cliff in layers that went all the way down to the sea.
***
Other than sporadic bursts of sociability I have been passing my days in the usual way: swimming in the sea, painting stones, drinking very fluffy banana smoothies and increasing my kudos on the island.)  Yesterday BSB's mother-in-law told me I was the perfect woman. I believe it is because (a) I don't stagger home late at night drunk (b) I don't invite men friends to my room: (c) I paint stones which is a most wholesome endeavour and delights small children.  I did have to lay low for a day or so though because there was a persistent fisherman trying to entice me onto his boat for a 4 a.m. fishing expedition. There were so many things wrong with this proposition ( fish: fishing: sea sickness: 4 a.m. and the fact that he seemed to to be asking my breasts anyway) that it was very easy to say no - repetitively.
***
Still beach dancing each night - Loona  and Mike Oldfield the latest victims of my midnight flings.
***
Heard from a friend in Syria too ( not the one from Hama). It was nice to have contact

No comments: