Tuesday 16 August 2011

Hello sun

I believe I may have brought the sun back with me to Basel. Apparently it was a miserable summer here but now the sun is beaming between the clouds.
Ok I realise it probably wasn't me at all (my powers of persuasion are really only limited to coaxing cats out of bushes with slabs of tuna fish and convincing mosquitoes they would be better off biting the other person in the room!) No - it was  simply the all seeing, all loving sun letting me know she is still above my head wherever  I am.

I think of Hafiz and his lovely poem. 

The Sun Never Says

Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth,
"You owe Me."

Look what happens with
A love like that,
It lights the Whole Sky. 

When I read this poem I think of a friend I have right now who is suffering deeply. I hope she will see the sun again some time soon.


1 comment:

Alan Nonymous said...

Not a 'lovely' poem, but a poem all the same...


Ballad for the Lonely

At the bar, heading back to your empty table
After the bath no one to smell your perfumed skin
All your books, dusty books; love is a fable
Peace and quiet hide the rage within

A silence where whispered lullabies sang
Your coat is left lifeless on the floor
You're awake at day break, your tired head you hang
A deadly seal; the last lock of your door

Frightened when ill, no sleep in the dark
The music is too loud for your mood
It means so much, oh so much, the sunset in the park
No mouths to eat or talk about your food

A journey ends back at a cold safety
A walk leads you back to your room
You're too quick, oh so quick, to fall too hasty
The smother of the motherless moon

Your stares and the glares accuse them of something
Nothing known, no nothing for yourself
And your eyes, never lie, your smiles hide nothing
Those baby blues were meant for someone else

When I saw my silhouette in her dark ocean eyes
I knew that this would soon come again
Unaware of the past and the shadows it casts
I know much more than I did then