Wednesday 18 February 2015

Georgia

Right now my confidence is a little low - in my writing, in my teaching, in myself as a woman etc.  I am not depressed though. When I am depressed I don't eat and if anything I am eating too much right now. I have a serious addiction to sutlac ( Turkish rice pudding).

However I feel ,as the Turks say, a little balik etli which directly translated means fish meat but actually means ' chubby' or 'porky' although the latter is probably not approps here in Turkey.

Once in the past when I was feeling this way I went to Syria to show myself how super strong and amazing I am. This time I have decided to tackle Georgia. Not only does the landscape and gorgeous villages and their love of wine entice me  but it is also a cheapish destination for someone on my atrocious TL salary.

When I am there I plan to visit the beautiful Tbilisi , go north into the Caucuses  and east to the vineyards where I hope to stay on a winery. I feel like I need to challenge myself which must sound a little strange. Surely Istanbul is a challenge in itself. Yes and No. I understand how she works enough to get by now. My Turkish is improving  because I am engaging more with people in restaurants and shops and I can confidently ride public transport knowing I will always find my way back home. But I need to go somewhere else for a week. Encounter a different culture, different food, different scenery. I need to be alone without being lonely

No comments: