Tuesday 29 October 2013

Republic Day

Republic Day in Istanbul means...


.... lots of flags



...lots of boaty goodness ( with  flags)


...lots of police welcome wagons
***
In the afternoon I went to an end-of-kebab-season partay with colleagues. I decided to walk there with a fellow teach which obviously made us a pair of most impressive machines. Turks do not embrace the walk I find. 
It was actually a very enjoyable afternoon. Red wine, beer and baklava always help too.


mmm baklava


Turk at work...


Canadian sandwich


The whole motley bunch


hmmm would u really pay to learn from us???

***
Many red wines later some of us straggled down the hill towards Ortaköy to watch the fireworks...a mandatory celebration of any Republic Day.


***
P.S The Lucky Pirate remains in hospital so I still have no pictures. But here is her gorgeous brother I have named Herbey...because I am treating him for a similar sounding infection at the moment. He is a brave and beautiful boy who pluckily lives on his street with his mama but is now getting brave enough to let me cuddle him ( and inject antibiotics down his wee little throat.)


No comments: