Sunday 13 October 2013

Iyi Bayramlar

This coming week is Kurban in Turkey. Kurban means ' animal sacrifice'. That is probably a sufficient enough explanation of what the festival entails. Fortunately I live in Cihangir, which is a boho sort of area, so the chances of coming across any kurbaning is quite low. Some of  my students wrinkle up their noses at the sacrifice aspect of the holiday although they are rightfully proud of the charitable outcome. I imagine if you asked a chicken or a turkey they would have similar feelings about Christmas.  My plan is to avoid any such uncomfortable scenarios by fraternizing solely with all the cats on my street  and maybe the odd passing dog.

Actually, it is going to be very nice to have the week off work and most of Istanbul empty. 


No comments: