Saturday 24 September 2011

Losing My Religion by REM


is a song I will always love deeply for the memories it carries.

Follow me if you will...........


 It was a sultry summer day in the summer of 1997. I had just seen Ephesus in Turkey and done my best to marvel at the ancient ruins for 6 hours straight. ( I am a kind of a two-hour maximum ruin admirer and that's on a shady day.) I was travelling with a handsome, brown-haired, blue-eyed boy who could sweat for an entire Olympic team if so required. I liked it!!  We had been flirting for a week and a half now. My best flirtation move so far had been to accidentally stumble in a shower in the tiny village of Kas resulting in a lot of blood and an ankle which swelled to the size of a football.
But I was shrewd - for now I was need in a constant human crutch to help me around (queue: handsome sweating boy!) 
Anyhow we returned from our day in  Ephesus to the town of  Selcuk and found a lovely street side restaurant to indulge in another plate of stuffed aubergine. I was almost at my aubergine elastic limit by this time but of course being in full flirt mode I did not moan of such things. No I launched into my hundreth such dish with the enthusiasm of a  cat at a pigeon festival. 
The whole night we talked and laughed and drank cheap wine and the only song the restaurant had on its stereo system was Losing My Religion which it played over and over and over and over and over again.

Thanks R.E.M.!

No comments: