Sunday 30 April 2017

Festa Degli Aquiloni


So last weekend was the Festa Degli Aquiloni which largely involves the entire village struggling up to Di Torre di Frederico (the highest point in the village) to fly kites.
Mostly the kite flyers are rotund, bald, middle-aged Italian men, and children, with the former knocking down the latter in their quest to get enough wind behind their sails for lift off.


There is also the obligatory medieval cortege through the middle town complete with town banners,




bangy drummers





and flag-throwers!


It was good to get out and muster a few nods of approvals from the locals. Ah there goes the American girl with the beautiful back who walks a lot. Apparently that is my unofficial name (which I learned from a student at my school). Not a particularly accurate summary (apart from the walking) but it amused me no end when my student told me, especially since she lives in a  village fifteen minutes further on and that is where she first heard it!! 

These be quiet streets, my friend.

No comments: