Sunday 23 June 2013

Kinaliada

Yesterday I decided to go to the Prince's Islands (Adalar) which are near Istanbul  on the Sea of Marmara. I had originally thought I would go to Büyükada, which is the largest of the group, but the ferry boat out there was very crowded and everyone on board seemed to have brought along their own special aroma so I decided to disembark at the first island - Kinaliada -instead.
Now Kinaliada is not the loveliest of all the Prince's Islands ( more on that later) but it served its purpose perfectly -  beach for a swim/ sea breezes to enjoy. I started by strolling halfway around the island until I found a cute cove to lounge at for a while. There were quite few expensive-looking boats moored out on the sea and the local bar played fittingly upbeat songs by Adele and Whitney Houston to get us all in that sunshine mood. (You know you've had a bit too much sun when you start crying on your sun-lounger!) Anyway I then decided to walk around the rest of the island ( you can call me  The Circumnavigatrix) which was very pleasant if not  little hot - thank goodness I had a mini-pack of Oreos with me. There was one stage, however, when all I could see was vast ocean, a winding road and blinding sun and I started imagining myself licking morning condensation off the local foliage should I get lost for the night.
Of course, given the island has an area of 1.3 km squared, I soon found civilization again and happily ambled back down to the port.


Now the Prince's Island are famous for their lovely architecture and lack of cars but as I said earlier this island is probably not the best example of such things. The only other island I have been to is Heybeliada which was definitely more aesthetic on the building front ( as can be seen from surrounding pictures.)

But I can't fault Kinaliada. It got me out of Istanbul, it got me walking and it gave me a swim. Essential things for a weary ladydee, who is feeling a little low on her mo-jo.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks great there, next time I have to see it ;-))) R, xx.