Tuesday 11 June 2013

I don't like Tuesdays


This morning as I went to work I got to experience a little bit of Turkish hospitality - police style.  I knew it was only a matter of time. Taksim Square was not going to remain a people's paradise forever.
Even before I reached the square I could tell the situation had changed. No more fairy floss and  cucumber sellers bobbing down the street...just a nest of police around Ataturk's memorial pegging gas at people, including me, who were making their way to the metro station. As I ran into the station a large cloud of gas followed me and I ended up cowering with strangers behind a kiosk until the pain on our skin became too bad and we made our way down to the metro line.  I can't get used to the pain of the gas ( and I would rather not to be honest) but I find myself becoming more resilient somehow.

When I came back home at the end of the day the square looked war-torn.



Look at the top of my street - you have gotta love the infallibility of Ronald!


It just seems so surreal, so destructive, so broken.



No comments: