Thursday 14 April 2011

She said...he said...

 April is the cruelest month, 
breeding lilacs out of the dead land, 
mixing memory and desire, 
stirring dull roots with spring rain
                                                                           
T.S. Eliot 

I have to say that this year I agree with Mr Eliot 's sentiment. I feel as if I stepped off a plane (a little water-logged) last January, got punched in the face and have spent the past months trying to find my way out of its lethal concussion. I don't feel ready for budding flowers and fragrant air yet but I suppose April does not care for these things. She must do what she was made to do and slowly, day by day I must learn to let her.

*****

On a side note a wise person told me this week that I should try to make more friends in Basel.  This is a sound idea - in theory, however the putting of this idea into practice is another thing all together. (Something my two quasi-Swiss friends at work confirmed when I told them and they both simultaneously raised their eyebrows and said 'goodluck'. I mean if they think it is difficult what chance do I have. It's not that Swiss people aren't nice - of course they are nice - but Basel is not the easiest place to make friends - real friends.)

Anyhow to my credit I did make a twenty minute friendship with a transvestite in a park on Wednesday  S/he was sitting on a bench in a red skirt, black top, with lovely long black hair ( perhaps a slight three o'clock shadow) and an overnight bag.  S/he needed15 CHF for a train. I only had 3. So then we started talking.  S/he came from Milan orignally but now lived in Germany.  We talked about the sun and the flowers etc and then s/he asked me my name so I said Giovanna ( io parlo L'Italiano si!)  so then I asked for her name and s/he asked if I would like the man name or the woman name. I said ' whatever name you want.' So s/he said Alex which I found to be appropriately ambivalent. So we talked a bit longer and then I had to go. We shook hands and s/he told me what a lovely time s/he had spent talking to me and how s/he wished she had met me with her trousers on instead!


No comments: