Saturday 5 June 2010

Vapiano

Last night I went to Vapiano a new restaurant in Basel. The problem with the name Vapiano is the poet within me wants to call it Crapiano for no other reason than the fact that I can.
It has only been open a few weeks but is already very popular. When you enter it the staff at front give you a card which acts as your cash for the night. Every time you order something you swipe it and then at the end of the evening you pay your card. Quite cunning really because it is so much easier for people to swipe a round of drinks across their card then have to pay up straight away.
I had spaghetti pomodoro con rucola. I have to say it wasn't the best pasta I have ever had in my whole entire life ( that belongs to a plate of gnocchi I met in Venice almost ten years ago) but the novelty factor of the restaurant made the meal quite pleasing. After the meal I went to the bathroom and was quite surprised at the the rather modern, angular decor of the bathroom. 'Wow,' I thought. 'This place is soooo modern.' Of course I was then even more surprised to find three porcelain urinals hanging on the wall and one rather bemused man. I think I must have stood and stared for a minute thinking to myself. 'Wow Unisex toilets - well I never.'
Suffice to say when I finally located the Ladies the decor was a lot more elegant and feminine.

****


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vapiano? I used to use Vapiano. In my day it was a perfumed hair pomade. I ain't got any hair left nowadays mind. Maybe it was that f*cking Vapiano. Now, where are my pants?

Luv Stinky the Tramp.