Wednesday 7 August 2013

Kazanci Street...these days

On Kazanci Street I am on first name basis with
Ozman  who runs the local Kahve (men's tea shop) next door. He is also an excellent supplier of Ramazan Pide; Esre, the pet shop keeper; Deniz who lives above me; Jimmy the boot-cleaner although now I come to think of it I wonder if his name really is Jimmy. Johnny perhaps...but Jimmy? And Kirim, the record producer with a not-so-secret love of four-legged friends. Every day I pass him walking his big black Labrador and he tells me the story of one of the street cats - of Wonky Ear who had an accident with a car and had to be fed through a tube for three months because his jaw was smashed or The Lion who he rescued from an abandoned building site and has a heart as gentle as a sleeping bird.
The Lion


Wonky Ear
I am on Merhaba basis with the local shop and cafe owners, all the men at the tea shop next door and the local kuafor ( Don't you love Turkish spelling.) The poor Kuafor is so bored and customer-less he is always trying to get me to come in for a free vitamin treatment. I think if he doesn't touch hair at least once a day he gets twitchy.

I am on Hand-kissing basis with the local real estate agent. He did it once and now he does it every time. I feel awkward, especially when I've just been up to my arms in cats but he does not seem to mind so it is easier to let him than to stop him now.

I am on Nodding basis with the lads at the local mechanic shop and I am on Sweet-sharing basis with Anil the local boy.

And then of course I am on Patting basis with Three-Paw, The Lion, Wonky Ear, Grandma, Tabby 1-3, Sucky, Snotface, Plucky...etc
Plucky
My street is quite special I think. An old style treasure the likes of which will one day be lost. I imagine there will be a story one day on Kazanci Street.

No comments: