Thursday 5 July 2012

Fox hunt

The other night I had a very vivid dream about a fox. And yes if you could be sued for copyright infringement in your dreams I am sure Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's would have a strong case against me.
 I was on a Greek island and I met this speaking fox with the most beautiful fur coat. I believe we only spent one day and night together in which we rode together on a  bicycle, talked about everything and at night he slept at the foot of my bed. The next night we were out and there was a small explosion. The fox was startled and ran off into the night. Later he came to me (I was waiting for him) and he told me how he had been chased by a couple of dogs. He said he didn't want to go back to that life that he wanted to stay with me. At that moment I realised that I couldn't keep the fox because I would be leaving the island some day soon and even though I wanted to keep him safe and have him on my bed I had to let him go before I tamed him completely. Honestly it really was the Little Prince all over again but I cannot even think what triggered it in my sleep.  Now I find myself missing the fox in my waking hours and it makes me sad.. I feel as if I let him down somehow. I don't even think I agree with my decision. I think we should have just kept riding bicycles - he was getting very good. I mean who knows what I might have done tomorrow. I might have stayed on the island and opened my own ouzo distillery. He could have been my tester ( since I'm sure a fox who speaks as well as he did must surely have quite a discerning palate as well.)

 I hope he visits me in my sleep again soon so I can make amends.

No comments: