Sunday 8 April 2012

An amble near Grellingen

 Today I enjoyed Easter Sunday lunch with an old friend and her husband. We actually work together at the BIS ( Bank for International Settlements) about ten years ago.I know. Me in a bank - they were crazy days. Even crazier than that was the fact that my job was to provide IT support to the bankers and big wigs.Given I understand the word reboot to mean giving  your computer a good kicking I guess you can imagine how cutting edge I was as a tekkie. I remember once going down into the banking section because there was a printer problem. All I could do when I was got there was examine the thing and say in my most informed voice 'oh yes this is indeed a printer. Now let me find someone who can really help you!'Honestly it was the most difficult job of my life for the sheer reason that I didn't really know what I was doing and I hate not knowing what I am doing, Then again I did get offered the job by the big head of the IT department solely for 'having fire in my eyes' so the fault was not entirely mine.
Anyway today I went out to see my colleague  to reminisce about the old times and celebrate my escape. ( She is still very happily trapped). She lives in the most gorgeous rustic house perching on top of a hill overlooking r the most splendid scene of rolling green hills, mountains and fields. Honestly it was like a little piece of heaven and my time with her from beginning to end was just lovely. We went for a walk along a densely wooded path which ran alongside an ambling mossy stream. My fingers nearly froze off from the cold but the walk was stunning. Afterwards we ate  homemade bread, cheese and pumpkin soup. It really was good for the soul. Of course my natural response to such a day was to crawl in my bed back home and lay like a stone for a number of hours but it was so nice to pass a few hours amongst such beautiful things.

No comments: