Saturday 20 November 2010

lucky dip

Yesterday I won the top prize in the lucky dip at the Basel Anglican Church Christmas bazaar. I had actually gone along to buy myself some Heinz spaghetti hoops (mmm spaghtti hoops) but came out with an enormous bottle of Bushmill's Irish single malt whiskey. It even has a sturdy green box that I can use as a cricket bat if required. There were a few envious glances, of course. Every congregation in England loves a wee nip of whiskey after Evensong. But I tried to pull my best 'how fabulous' face even though I think I would have been more thrilled to have won a cuddle from a cranky cat.

The trouble is I know nothing about whiskey at all !

What is single malt anyway?
Do you drink it with water, or is it ice, or is it lemon?
Can you have it on icecream?
Does it heal fungal infections?

Last night I tried a glass after dinner and I have to say that it is very unlikely that I will be polishing off the bottle any time soon - well certainly not on my own anyway! So I suppose the cuddle from a cat prize still stands but it's nice to win something for a change.

2 comments:

miss_belle said...

and this is where the past comes back to bite ye, young lady. if you had not tarried kissing the blarney stone, you could have spent an instructive hour or so at the distillery, instead. and perhaps be revelling in your bushmills now. heh. (btw, i like it with a little cold water, or a couple of cubes of ice, but started drinking it with soda water - so give that a go!)

Mr S Le Tramp said...

With a good single malt you should drink it with a teaspoon of cold tap water. With any other rubbish you should drink it through a straw or pour it in a bucket and down it in one.

My preference is for Scottish single malt whisky and not your common or garden bogtrotting whiskey rubbish. No offence.

Miss Belle is right. With a splash of soda is also rather good. Perhaps if you have a sweet tooth then try it with ginger ale and lots of ice.

Or if you are like me I often use it as part of a highly complicated and often quite dangerous colonic.