Thursday 15 January 2009

When the monster bites......

Today I received an email which felt like someone had taken a bite out of my heart. Really it is the only way to describe it. Like cookie monster had come up and gone CHOMP! and if I had turned around from my computer quick enough I would have seen his furry blue bottom making a run for the exit. Still after a cup of tea and two hours teaching the past simple to my evening class ( who funnily enough i also call ' my monsters') I am already feeling a little better.

On the writing front , I have had an email from Mike Allen, editor of Clockwork Phoenix 2: More Tales of Beauty and Strangeness http://www.clockworkphoenix.com/, that the contract for my short story 'The Fish of Al-Kawthar's Fountain' should be arriving in the mail soon. Hooray

I also have to write a bio for Swimming Kangaroo publications to go in their newsletter. I think this can wait until after my return from holidays. I am off next week to Syria for some fattoush and nargileh. I think it amuses/ alarms my mother no end that she has a daughter who goes to Syria ' to relax'. But there you go. It's all true. Well, I like the markets there and the food and the way I feel as if Ali Baba might truly exist in one of the cavernous, colourful, incense-soaked souks.
Besides it seems that Syria has been chosen as my current muse - since 'The Fish of Al-Kawthar's Fountain' was actually inspired ( in part) by a Damascene hostel - so I think it is only appropriate I return to see if she has any further stories to impart.

Have a day

joanna

No comments: