Sunday 18 January 2009

Breakfast by the fountain

I have no idea whether this entry is even going to publish as I seem to be able to write a post but if I try to view my blog I get a nice message from a very serious sounding Syrian cyber entity telling me that access is denied. This does not actually come as a surprise given how tightly the Government regulates the internet so I will just try to publish this and see what happens.

Right now I am in an internet cafe in Damascus having spent the day wandering the souks, buying up on 15 flower tea and trying to coax ragged looking persians out of courtyards and into my adoring clutches ( no luck - but a few tentative feline smiles I do believe.)

I had my breakfast of eggs, bread, olives, homous and labneh sitting by the fountain from my story. Of course the fountain in my story is an elaboration but I can verify that my inspiration is shaped in the curve of a woman's eye, dwells in a starry-skyed courtyard and is home to at least four singing goldfish. Of course none of this will make much sense to anyone right now - you will have to wait for the story ( all one of you - heh heh).

I am glad to be back here in Syria although the mood is quite sombre and guarded when I compare it to last summer. Understandably so. I have seen billboard-size pictures of the suffering in Gaza with messages of hope from Damascus to the Palestinians. I have seen Israeli flags drawn on the ground for people to walk on. I have read interviews with Israelis who have lost loved ones to rockets.

It is almost unreal to think that in a place not very far from me right now there is such devastation and suffering being endured.

It saddens me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That breakfast sounds divine. I'm happy you're there. Thank you for the SMS, it was a lovely morning surprise. Thinking of you.