Wednesday 30 September 2015

Basement horror

I spent most of today wallowing among spent cat turds, mud and congealed-who-knows-what in the basement of my apartment block. I sat in it, I fell in it, I squatted in it, I banged my head against a streaky wall so hard I got dizzy. It was the kind of room that a serial killer ( a la Silence of the Lambs) would have coveted and possibly even killed for. It was a miserable long day and I will admit to crying on the stairs on more than one occasion.

And the reason. A family of 5 feral kittens and their extremely feral mother. At least three of the kittens have bulging eyes just like my Pirate once did and I simply couldn't sit there and not do anything. I feel like rescuing Pirate means nothing if I fail these little lives instead.

It was almost impossible though and the mother would attack my limbs with such rage ( and love for her kids) I wanted to walk away. And yet, of course, I could not.

By the end of the day I had managed to catch two of the infested little creatures.  Not complete success but not failure either. Tonight they are being cared for at a vet where they will remain for the next days before being returned to their mum. I wish I could give them a safe home forever.

Istanbul has broken my heart.

No comments: