Monday 27 September 2010

Scherben bringen Glück

In German they have a saying 'Scherben bringen Glück ( broken crockery brings good luck).
I'm really hoping this is true because I seem to be smashing my way through a lot of crockery right now.
At least I know that this phase in my life will have to be finite since I don't even own a lot of crockery.

Unless I start smashing the bathroom porcelain of course which cannot be dismissed as entirely implausible. After a hard day at work I do tend to plonk myself down quite heavily.

One thing I know is that I tend to smash when I am distracted or unhappy. I don't know if I am actually unhappy right now especially since I have so much to be grateful for but I suppose I am. You can' t enjoy sunshine if you never have rain.

I am still reading Rumi and today I am going to borrow his words once again. I figure if I keep on borrowing I will run out of credit and then I will have to write again.

Gamble everything for Love
if you're a true human being.
If not, leave
this gathering.
Half-heartedness doesn't reach into majesty.

I find this very powerful. It means so many things to me. Love whole-heartedly, Teach whole-heartedly, write whole-heartedly, smash whole-heartedly...don't do anything by halves ( except perhaps drink flagons of cheap wine.)

No comments: