Saturday 6 November 2021

La Rocca

 

My life, if little else, is always an adventure.

La Rocca

Today I decided to climb up to La Rocca (the tower of Federico II) which is the highest point in San Miniato so I could watch dusk settle over the Tuscan hills with Three Paw’s ashes. I don’t visit La Rocca enough but if I am honest, I hardly ever think “why don’t I climb to the highest point in the land” after a long day of verb conjugation online. Anyway, I got there just as the blue was morphing into orange and then whoosh an enormous wind blew through. Fortunately, it did not take Three Paw (let’s not even contemplate that potential disaster) but it blew my bag right off the ledge into an olive grove below and unfortunately that bag had my wallet and keys and all things a lady living on her own might need to fight the demons of the night. I briefly considered jumping from the wall down to retrieve it, but I would surely have broken an ankle, so I am glad common sense prevailed. I hunted around the whole wall looking for an easy way down but this medieval fortress, designed to repel enemies, was not forthcoming. Eventually,
Sunset

I decided to go down the side of the tower and see if I could find a way in. Luckily I saw a family was just leaving their home so I started yelling, ”Aiuta mi.” A very nice lady came over, so I reported my tragic tale (the ashes of Three Paw tucked under my arm) and she agreed to let me into the lower garden. Then this young man came over expressing concern that perhaps the upper garden might be locked, and I was like “yes, maybe, but you have to let me at least try.” He seemed defeated by the very idea of trying but fortunately I am an optimist deep down and I was able to persuade him that I would be one doing all the trying. (I never understand why people give up before exhausting every possible option. For example, you have just eaten a huge meal, and someone brings out the most amazing looking chocolate pudding you have ever seen.  The pessimist would decline “O, I have no room left” but me, I am thinking “surely, I can fill up just one lung.”)

Spot the bag - the drop from the top was higher than it looks

Anyway, I left Three paw with the lady and clambered up the hill, untwisted the metal gate and found a way to squeeze into the upper grove. I got my bag and returned a dizzy mess of mud and baggage.  I thanked the woman profusely and then returned to La Rocca where Three Paw and I sat to watch the orange glow descend beneath the trees.

Three Paw enjoying her view

Watching the sunset over San Miniato tonight was important. Not just to honour Three Paw on the anniversary of her death but also because of the many times in the past I had watched the same sun set when my parents have visited over the years. Sunsets don’t need to mean the end. They can mean another day is coming.



Post-adventure - you can't see me puffing but I am



No comments: