Friday 18 September 2020

Begin Again

 When I travel solo, I feel a great peace settle over my bones.  It's strange because in my everyday life I am racked with insecurities. I hate making decisions. I always fear a wrong choice and yet somehow when I become unshackled from daily life, I suddenly find myself becoming formidable and completely fearless. There are never any mistakes, only new directions.

Travelling makes sense to me in a way day-to-day life does not. And I'm not talking about flitting from one five star to another. I'm talking ramshackle hostels, broken-down buses, one dollar lunches, toilet paper in my back pocket, reading maps upside down. Everything that can make one day on the road feel like a lifetime. 

I don't travel much these days.  Mostly I can't afford it but Covid-19 has also added a plot twist. But I have realised that I need to try and find a way to bring it back into my life. 

Syria - 2008 - Palmyra. Before ISIS destruction
  

No comments: