Tuesday 20 May 2014

chattin with m'lady

Every Monday and Wednesday  I have to go to Ortaköy in the late afternoon. Recently the scaffolding has been taken away from the mosque nearby so the seaside square is even more adorable than before. I like sitting in this square because it feels as if the Bosphorus is sitting with me. Like an old friend. When the big ships go by we gossip about their cargo, the captain's drinking habits, how many mermaids they have seen in the Aegean. I really feel like the sea and I are in cahoots and it suddenly makes the rest of the city seem very far away...even though I can hear the sirens on the nearby streets.
Istanbul is a magnificent, sometimes maleficent, city but the Bosphorus is surely one of the loveliest ( and undoubtedly wiliest) ladies I have ever had the pleasure to know.

No comments: